lunes, 16 de diciembre de 2013

Christmas is coming

Mike is done with one more semester at Georgia Tech. Hopefully he can come home at a normal time, meaning 7:00 at night if he wants to put Lisa to bed. It is hard to go all day without help, fortunately he does pretty much everything on weekends.
This will be our first Christmas together as a family. Last year I was in Mexico with Baby Lisa. I have to admit that I am a little sad, but at the same time I know that is not always possible to see your family when you live so far away. Tickets on the Holiday season are very expensive even if you buy them ahead of time. The bad and good news this week is that I will be going to Mexico before the baby is born. My brother’s girlfriend is pregnant and they are getting married at the beginning of March. It was a shocking call to get. I was very upset and said things I probably shouldn’t have said. Sometimes I forget that they do not live by the same standards we do and I need to remember that is not my place to judge. I obviously share with them the principles by which we live but I need to understand that it doesn’t mean they are going to follow them and that it doesnt make him a bad person not to belive what I believe. I made my brother cry and I think I should have been more supportive. After all the anger was gone I realized that he must have been feeling like the whole world was coming at him. My parents are very disappointed but they are better than me I guess, they told him that they expected more from him and that they were saddened by the way this happened but that they were going to give him the moral support he needs right now. He just graduated from business school in Mexico and he just got a job in a bank about a month ago. His girlfriend is in the same situation, so I guess it could be worse, they could be two high school students with no education or jobs. They are a little worried about the baby because two weeks ago she was sick with influenza and not knowing she was pregnant she took some strong medicine. They will have an ultrasound on the 23rd. I think everything will be fine. I know that after all the disappointment goes away and they start a life together I will start being excited about a new niece or nephew, right now I am just a little angry and worried at the same time. After all he is still my little brother even though he is almost 26 years old.     
On a different topic we were watching some movies this weekend and while going through our On Demand menu Mike found the movie King Ralph. I was not interested at all, but he was so excited. He told me he loved that movie as a little boy. I agree to watch it with him and what I got out was just another reason to admire Mike parents.
While watching the movie we saw some things that were not as good for a PG movie. Mike says he doesn’t remember seeing the beginning of the movie, which is the part when all the royal family is electrocuted. Then he said he didn’t remember the part when Ralph escapes from the castle to go to a strip club. They were some other things he said he didn’t remember about the movie and it was to us why. I feel so impressed by their efforts to make sure the movies their kids watched were safe. There are machines that do that nowadays, but I imagine it wasn’t an easy thing to do when they edited King Ralph. Thanks for being such a good example.

That’s it for our week. We are getting ready for a very simple Christmas. We don’t even have a tree, or lights. I am so used to spend it with my parents at their home that I didn’t even realize I was supposed to do it in my own home. I did however bought a little Fisher Price little people nativity, we are trying to start teaching Lisa that Christmas is all about Jesus’s birth. She only wants to play with it but we will get there. Christmas is so different here, I feel a little out of place. I guess we need to come up with our own family traditions and try to combine mine with Mike’s so our kids don’t feel too weird when they go to Mexico to spend Christmas with my parents.

Lisa has a hard time every time we change something in her room. Every time we want to change the blankets on her crib she start crying like it’s the end of the world, we have to take her out of the room if we want to do that. Same when we need to wash the pads on her changing table, or yesterday when I was going through her clothes to put away the ones she is not wearing anymore. So I thing we are going to have a hard time when we decide to take her crib for the baby.
I just realized Ella is in the picture. What a surprise


Grandma Anthony made possible for her to have this blanket paradise.Lisa loves her crib so much. She still sleeps 12 to 14 hours every night, I will miss that when our new baby girl comes. Grandma made the crib bedding set gave her the pillow blanket last year and the new blanket this year. I think the blanket was supposed to be a Christmas present, but we did not put it away and she ripped the bag apart the day we unpacked… sorry about that Grandma. She loves it though.
Ready for a nap. GO AWAY MOM!

5 comentarios:

  1. So sorry to hear about your brother. I hope good thing will come from this. Maybe someway this will bring about a way to get them into the Church. I hope you will establish some fun Christmas traditions. These will be the things that Little Lisa will remember all through her life. I am glad she liked her Christmas present.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Even sad things can turn into good things. Heavenly Father sent His Son to atone for our mistakes and help us find better ways to live our lives. Perhaps "forgiveness" was the greatest gift of all, one we all need from time to time. It was important to express your sadness to your brother but now it might be better to show love and support for their marriage.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Lisa's room is so cute.
    It will be fun having a sister in law. It is a big step getting married and having a baby so quickly. It will be fun having cousins so close to the same age as your kids.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I love the Fisher Price Nativity set you bought for Lisa to play with, that is a great idea. You will find and make traditions that become unique for your family.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Such a tough way to start a marriage with a new baby on the way. Even though it may be hard the best thing to do is to show love and be supportive to your brother and his fiance.

    My girls used to have those kinds of meltdowns when I'd wash their special blankets or stuffed animals, it is tough. I love Lisa's room too. It will be nice for you to visit your family.

    ResponderEliminar