miércoles, 27 de agosto de 2014

An August July Entry

That means that I should have posted this entry in July when I wrote it. I have been writing a lot but I don’t have much time to “clean” my writing and then I end up not posting anything. So I apologize for my grammar mistakes found all over these last entries.
I am the Meetings Committee Chair; that means that I am in charge of making the Relief Society monthly meetings happen. This July our meeting was obviously all about pioneers, cultural diversity and heritage. We are pretty good about having our speakers/teachers lined up months in advanced, but somehow this time our speaker couldn’t make it and we didn’t have time to find another speaker. The little talk was about being a pioneer within your family so when we were figuring out who to call everyone was looking at me.
I think I have stage fright. Just the thought of speaking in public makes me nervous and when it is actually happening my voice breaks, my hands sweat, mi knees shake, and I am a total mess. The interesting thing is that I only discovered this since I have been a member of the church. I didn’t know I was so afraid to do it until my first talk during sacrament meeting. The Relief Society presidency knows this and they are super nice; I never have to make announcements or anything that involves speaking in public. So when they all looked at me even I was surprised when all of the sudden I volunteered to do it. What got into me? I don’t know, but I felt like they needed me to do it plus I didn’t want to have to contact somebody in such short notice.
I was super nervous just thinking about it and to find some confidence I went back to read my patriarchal blessing. I was pleasantly surprised to rediscover something written there, it reads, “Your voice will be heard in English and Spanish; open your mouth and your tongue will be loose”. I have shared my conversion story with my ward today and since I have shared that talk a lot I decided to prepare something different. The day came and I did great. I was super nervous still, but I had written everything (even the jokes) because I know that if I was nervous I was going to get all mixed up and forget something important. Basically I shared a little bit of my conversion story but focused on the struggles that I felt were similar to those of the pioneers who crossed the planes. Fear of the unknown, fear of change, faith and sacrifice. I feel that even when times change the struggles of people who choose to follow the Lord and change their lives are very much the same. I also found during my pondering and reading that sometimes we as converts think that our challenges are not the same as those of the people born in the church. I think that being a pioneer means to stand for what you know to be true even when everything else around you tells you differently, and that includes life-time members. Maybe you knew that already.
I also found myself thinking about my temple experience in a different way. I have always known that the sacrifice of having to leave my parents outside the temple the day of our sealing was what I was supposed to do. When I was sharing this experience I realized that because of that sacrifice my daughter won’t have to go through the same, as long as they choose to be married in the temple and I am alive an worthy of course. I still cried my eyes out remembering what I felt seeing my parents so sad, but I am hopeful someday they will decide to go to the temple themselves. I had sisters at the end thanking me for remind them how fortunate some of they were to have their families with them when they were sealed. I hope to see my daughters marry in the temple one day.

I don’t have pictures of that day, but I do have some pictures of my girls.








4 comentarios:

  1. Mika is a little nervous when Lisa is close by. Thanks for blogging. I loved your thought that you pioneered a hard experience so your girls will not have too.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Good job on your talk! I never volunteer to speak either and it is my first language. Adam did not have his parents in the temple either. It is strange when family members are missing.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Way to go on your talk! It's sounds like it went great! I never thought about your sealing in that light either, your daughters will be blessed by your example. I am so glad you are blogging again!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I haven't checked your blog for a long time so it was fun to see new entries today. I was very touched by your story of being a pioneer. You are a great example to everyone in the family. "All is well! All is well!"

    ResponderEliminar