viernes, 28 de enero de 2011

At the door of the temple




Since the day I was baptized I had been waiting for that big moment, that physical reaction, when your mind, heart, and soul tell you that this is the true church. I knew it was true but I had never felt it, in that way, until the day I got married.
Back in 2007 when I was debating whether to join the church or not, the sole idea of leaving my whole family “outside” of my wedding ceremony was terrifying, but I managed to talk to my parents about it. Although they were very upset and sad, they tried not to be hard on me and accepted and respected my decision. I thought that was it, I thought they were all right with it and that they had understood. They thought that too.
The process to get a visa is very hard and you get emotionally tired of being at the consulate waiting for your turn. It took me almost five hours and all the time the people there treated you like one of the immigrants trying to jump across the border. Anyway, I convinced my parents to try to get a visa before I applied for residency. I knew that one of the reason they could reject your visa application is if you have a family members in the states who you could possibly stay with permanently, it is obvious to think I guess. They went to the U.S. embassy on July 14th, it was 11 days before our wedding, and could you imagine how nervous I was? The day they went in I went to work and was so anxious that I would start to cry thinking they would be rejected. If the government denies you the visa it is like a bad record on your passport. Well, they got the visa, and thanks to my two angels (Dave & Sherrie) my parents got here a week and a half later.
I could have never imagined what was about to happen. The day of our wedding we were all too busy getting ready that I didn’t have time to think about what I was going to tell my parents just before entering the temple. So, there I was in front of the temple and just before going in I felt this overwhelming feeling, my heart felt like it was going to come out of my chest and tears were running down my cheeks. I felt the spirit telling me to go back and tell my parents what I knew. I went back to where my mom was sitting, my dad wasn’t there (he was too busy taking pictures of the beautiful Manti temple), I shared my testimony with my mom that day for the first time. It was very emotional and I couldn’t stop crying the whole time after that.
We got married on July 23th this year. It was an incredible experience, but also a tough one. I had to leave my parents outside of the temple and nobody on my birth family could be there with me. It was just me and my ancestors on the other side of the veil, the ones who have been waiting for me to make this decision, to choose the right and follow the lord. My whole life has changed since March 23, 2007. I found the most wonderful man I adore him and could not have a better husband and eternal companion. He makes me want to be better and he has done that since day one. He eats the food I make, and when we are sharing Mexican food he lets me put hot sauce all over the plate and not just in my part even though he is just about dying by the second bite. He lets molly (our cat) sleep with us because he knows I love her. I am grateful for him and for everything that has been given to me. I love my new family so much and I am also grateful for them. I am especially grateful for the beautiful pictures Aunt Karen took, you are so talented and I thank you for giving us those beautiful memories.
I know that as I pray and listen to the spirit the Lord will guide and direct me. He knows what is best for me and I will always trust on him.

5 comentarios:

  1. I was the first to talk to your parents after the temple ceremony. I cried with them, they are truly wonderful and supportive parents.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. It's so great that they came to support you even though they couldn't go inside. It was really nice of them to also help watch the kids! They are great people! That's so great that you shared your testimony with your mom.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Diana, this is such a wonderful blog. I have really enjoyed learning all about your story. You have such amazing courage and such a strong testimony. I am so grateful to have been able to meet your parents at your wedding day. Everything was so lovely. You and Michael are such a great couple. I hope you continue to reap blessings every day of your life because of all the wonderful choices you've made. Love, Sharon Draper (cousin)

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I can't even imagine how hard that was for you. I definitely look up to and respect you.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Isn't it interesting, Diane, that you knew the Church was true as soon as you bore testimony of it. That is when it is the most powerful witness for everyone. It's an important lesson. When you testimony feels weak, it's because you haven't been sharing it enough. I admire your courage and finding gratitude in all your challenges. You are one amazing woman!

    ResponderEliminar