domingo, 14 de julio de 2013

The Food Issue

This week has been very difficult for me. I always worry about Lisa's weight. Not too much at the beginning because she was a good nurser, and at 6 months when I started solids she turned out to be a good eater. I followed Crystal's advise and started her on green vegetables, her first and absolute favorite food even to this day is avocado. I then gave her green beans, peas, a couple of green Mexican squashes (chayote is the one she loves), when I was sure she ate that without a problem I started with butternut squash, sweet potato, acorn squash, and so on. Then I gave her bananas, and other fruits. She has done so well up until last week. She will not eat anything but avocado. She tries everything once, but then makes a disgusted face and proceeds to either spit the food or just throw it off her tray. I need help, I feel like I have tried a lot of different foods and she just doesn't want to eat. She will be 1 year old at the end of the month so I have started giving her small pieces of whatever we eat, but again she just tries it and decides she doesn't want it. I also have to say that I don't even cook Mexican only, or "American" only food. We eat both kinds of food which I think should make it even better. So if you have any advise please let me know. I am growing more and more frustrated every day, she is obviously not the chunkiest baby and I worry that she is not getting enough nutrients. 
I did not take a single picture this week. Except for this one yesterday with Mike's phone. Sometimes I look at my Baby Lisa and my dear husband and I get this overwhelming feeling of  love that is so strong it make me want to cry and I just wanted to capture what I was seeing when I got the feeling.
Mike and Baby Lisa
 

4 comentarios:

  1. Food texture can be a big problem for some kids. Just keep working on it. Has she started dairy yet? We had to gave Avram Carnation instant breakfast every day when he was just over a year old. He got really sick and was in the hospital and the doctors said he was a little under weight so they suggested that we give him the Carnation instant breakfast. He got hooked on chocolate milk but I knew if he had some everyday then he was getting plenty of calories to survive.
    If she is not on dairy yet this might be a little tricky but she can start dairy at one year. My kids also struggled with dairy the first year...so hopefully that is not an issue with Lisa.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Children go through stages of eating and not wanting to eat. I wouldn't make a big scene or overreact when she doesn't seem interested in eating. Just go about eating and commenting on how good the meal is between you and Mike. Then put her down from her high chair hungry and ignore her until she is obviously really hungry. Then only offer her some healthy choices. If she refuses them, take her down from her high chair again. Don't only give her avocados. If she continues to refuse to eat good healthy choices, just put her down from the high chair until she is hungry and begging for food again. You need to be the boss, not the worried, frantic mother. It will even be okay if she goes to bed hungry once or twice until she learns that you aren't going to play her game of "avocados only" for all her meals. Keep your chin up and have FUN being a mom!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I agree with Aunt Jan. That is really good advice. It's amazing how much you love your family.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. The secret is not to let her graze between meals. Kids get use to just eating junk between meals and never learn to eat. Keep offering the nutritious food and she will eventually try it. Make sure she is taking her vitamins.

    ResponderEliminar